Former teacher. Wannabe chef. Debut author. Tami Charles writes picture books, middle grade, young adult, nonfiction, and enjoys the occasional work-for-hire project. Her middle grade novel, LIKE VANESSA, debuts with Charlesbridge in spring, 2018. Her picture book, FREEDOM SOUP, debuts with Candlewick Press in fall, 2019. She also has two more books forthcoming with Candlewick and Charlesbridge. Tami is represented by Lara Perkins, of the Andrea Brown Literary Agency.
* I attended Newark Public Schools, where my mother was a teacher, vice-principal, and eventually principal at our elementary school, Madison Avenue. Talk about TORTURE! (but I survived)
* Four score and seven years ago, I was in an all-girl R&B singing group. We performed on BET, for the Apollo, and had a song on the radio that played at like 2 in the morning when everyone was sleeping. We didn't make it to Hollywood, but those were the times of my life!
* Traveling (looking to add Italy to the list soon)
* Empanadas = life. If you don't like them, we can't be friends.
* I fall in love with anything written by Kwame Alexander, Rita Williams-Garcia, Edwidge Danticat, Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, and Meg Medina. Swoon!!!
* Spiders, Cave Crickets, Raw Onions (annihilate them ALL!)