Former teacher. Wannabe chef. Tami Charles writes picture books, middle grade, young adult, and nonfiction. Her middle grade novel, Like Vanessa, earned Top 10 spots on the Indies Introduce and Spring Kids' Next lists, three starred reviews, and a Junior Library Guild selection. Her recent titles include a picture book biography, Fearless Mary, humorous middle grade novel, Definitely Daphne, and forthcoming titles published by Sterling, Charlesbridge, Candlewick Press, and more. When Tami is not writing, she can be found presenting at schools both stateside and abroad. (Or sneaking in a nap...because sleep is LIFE!)
* I attended Newark Public Schools, where my mother was a teacher, vice-principal, and eventually principal at our elementary school, Madison Avenue. Talk about TORTURE! (but I survived)
* Four score and seven years ago, I was in an all-girl R&B singing group. We performed on BET, for the Apollo, and had a song on the radio that played at like 2 in the morning when everyone was sleeping. We didn't make it to Hollywood, but those were the times of my life!
* Traveling (looking to add Italy to the list soon)
* Empanadas = life. If you don't like them, we can't be friends.
* I fall in love with anything written by Kwame Alexander, Rita Williams-Garcia, Edwidge Danticat, Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, Guadalupe Garcia McCall, and Meg Medina. Swoon!!!
* Spiders, Cave Crickets, Raw Onions (destroy them ALL!)